New installation method?

The latest release implements a new installation method

1. Download fastboot package for your device (latest file iode-[...]-fastboot.zip):
    <snip>
  2. Unzip fastboot package and execute flash-all.sh (linux) or flash-all.bat (windows)

Is it supported for devices on IodeOS 2.x & 3.x or just 4.x?

Does the new ..fastboot.zip get created by the mka bacon command, or is there some new build magic needed?

The flash-all.sh appears to format cache and data partitions before flashing

fastboot format:ext4 cache
fastboot format:ext4 userdata

Is it possible to ‘dirty flash’ by calling fastboot --skip-reboot -w update iode-4.1-20230401-<device-name>-img.zip without calling fastboot format:ext4 userdata?

All versions.

make dist produces an image package suitable for flashing with fastboot, in the build/<device>/dist directory, named lineage_<device>-img-eng.<username>.zip.
Note that the builds sometimes fail due to missing hidl definitions, that can be solved like that.

You also must remove the -w as it wipes data. We put both ways for userdata clear, as wipe in the fastboot update fails for some devices.

1 Like

Sorry to revive this post but, is make dist something specific to IodéOS, or does it come from upstream (LineageOS? AOSP)? Is it likely to make such an image package for other LOS-based custom ROMs?

(Asking as a maintainer of los4microg project, who is looking for a better way of delivering our builds)

AOSP : Build OTA packages  |  Android Open Source Project

Nevermind - I just found Build OTA packages  |  Android Open Source Project which describes it

Just found that myself - thanks.

I did search for a while before I posted. Found the answer immediately after :slight_smile:

Also - this:
https://source.android.com/docs/core/ota/dynamic_partitions/implement#factory-images