IodèOS for Google Pixel 6 Pro (raven)

Hello everybody,

let me preface my questions with my appreciation for your efforts creating this ROM. Exceptional work!

I am using IodèOS for about two years on a Sony Xperia XA2. Before IodèOS I used LineageOS. This device is still sufficient for most daily uses but starts to get slow (3 GB of RAM ist not that much). During the winter holidays 2022 I could get my hands on a cheap, udes Pixel 6 Pro (raven) around the same time I realised that IodèOS started releasing builds for Googls Pixel devices. But up to today it does not seem to me that there are IodèOS builds for the 6 Pro. I totally understand that, as your business is selling refurbished phones and my guess would be that there is no real aftermarket for the Pixel 6 Pro.

I am aware of the alternatives CalyxOS, DivestOS and GrapheneOS, but I would miss out on your amazing blocker feature (none of the before mentioned do have something similar) or would be forced to use the real playstore (GrapheneOS). Unfortunately I cannot ditch microg/playstore for now, but I prefer to use microg over real playstore.

So my questions are, as I do not really want to change away from IodèOS and its features:

1. As I do not have the time and resources to build IodèOS myself, are there any known unofficial builds? (I could not find any) or are there an plans to support the 6 Pro officially?

2. There is no way to “simply” install the blocker into, for example CalyxOS or LineageOS for microg? (another post in the forums suggested: no)

Thank you very much in advance and keep up the good work!
lindan

2 Likes

it’s a decission of the developers
but yes, in my opinion, every pixel should be supported by iodéOS.

correct. the iodé app is just the gui for the blocker. the blocker itself is deeply integrated into the system.
so yes, it is not possible to install the iodé blocker onto any other custom rom

1 Like

Thank you very much for answering my questions!

I would love to see the other Pixels supported too, but I totally understand that the Devs have limited time and resources. I somehow hoped, that with the Devs making the source code of this ROM available to the public the community could easily port it to every device that is supported by LineageOS for microg. However there seems to be more to it then just merging the branches. :sweat_smile:

Thank you again for your time. I will monitor IodèOS development. There are still some family members left using it. And for now my: XA2 did not die of old age!

edit: clarification

HI

I’ve just kicked off an IodéOS build for this device. It’s a bit of an experiments, because the vendor blobs that LineageOS use for their builds are not yet available in The Muppets github repos, so I’m using the files from here.

I have no idea whether these files will work - in my experience,using wrong vendor blobs can result in bootloops and / or needing to reinstall stock ROM - and I don;t own one of these devices to test on. So I am not planning on publishing this build until / unless someone is prepared to risk installing it on their device and seeing what works. Would anyone here who owns this device be prepared to volunteer (assuming the build completes OK)?

1 Like

The build failed due to problems with vendor files . I’m not going to try and work out wahtbthe problems is. I’ll wait till there’s an android_vendor_google_raven repo available on TheMuppets with the files that LOS and LOS4MicroG use to build the official ROMs

1 Like

Hey thanks Pete for spending time attempting to build Raven :+1:

Hi Pete,

A question from a noob. Being that Iode have official builds for Pixel 6 and Pixel 6a, would that assist in building for the Pixel 6 Pro?
Thanks again

It’s a reasonable question, but the answer is “No, not really”. The vendor blobs (i.e. software binaries for which the source is not available, and which have to be used ‘as is’ rather than built from source) are different for every device and usually for every device variant. For devices in the same ‘family’ (e.g. Pixel 6, 6a, 6 Pro) the blobs are likely to be similar, but different enough that trying to reuse them for a different device will almost certainly cause problems.

There are a number of ways of getting hold of the vendor blobs for a device: the ‘official’ way is to extract them from a running device. Alternatively, they can be extracted from another custom ROM (such as LineageOS) as described here. In my experience both those methods can be difficult, and can cause problems, sometimes obvious (i.e. the phone won’t boot), sometimes subtle (i.e the phone runs, but crashes in some obscure circumstance, when a ‘dodgy’ or missing vendor blob is invoked).

The easiest way - which most custom ROM builders use, including me - is to let someone else do all that hard work, and to use the fruits of their labours. For devices officially supported by LineageOS, the LOS team will do that work, and the results are eventually made available in the TheMuppets github repos.

So if I were desperate to get a working build for raven, then I would go through the pain of trying to extract the blobs from the LOS ROM. But it’s not a priority for me, so I will wait until they appear in TheMuppets.

If you want a privacy-respecting ROM to run until an IodéOS build comes along, then I recommend LineageOS for microG (whichis what IodéOS (and /e/OS) are built on. Builds for raven can be downloaded from here, and installed by following the LineageOS installation instructions

Thanks Pete for your detailed and clear reply. I currently use /e/os on my 6 pro which does work very well.
Are you suggesting I use LOS/MicroG rather than /e/os? I’ve been a huge fan of LOS since their conception so happy to switch if their is a gain to be had.

Cheers,
Phil

I would suggest to use calyxOS on raven instead of /e/OS
Or grapheneOS or divestOS if you want to go the strict way
As alternative to iodeOS
All better then /e/OS

just my 2 cents

1 Like

If you are happy with /e/OS, then stick with it (at least until an IodéOS build is available :slight_smile: ).

I moved away from /e/OS to Los4Microg for a number of reasons: essentially /e/OS didn’t add any value for me over Los4Microg, and Los4MicroG does/did everything I need.

I moved on to IodéOS, when it became open source and I coud build for the devices I own and use.

The advantage for you of both /e/OS and Los4microG over my potential IodéOS build is that the /e/OS and Los4microG ROMs are officially supported, and therefore get OTA updates. My IodéOS builds are unofficial, and therefore don’t get OTA updates.

If I owned a device which is officially supported by /e/OS and Los4microG, then I would probably choose to stick with Los4microG because of the convenience of OTA updates.

You may be interested in a comparison of /e/OS & IodéOS that I wrote in this XDA forums post

Anyway, this is getting a bit off topic for the IodéOS forums. Happy to continue discussions by private message

1 Like

I follow the lineage guide alongside iode guide to carry out a builds for my pixel 7a (lynx) which has been running iode since May.

I’ve built iode 4,6 for raven; partly prompted by this post and partly to see how the build environment deals with more than one build. It all seemed to go very smoothly.

I don’t have a raven device so cannot tell you it’s working for sure but it should be the same as my lynx version which works fine.

If you wanted to try it I’ll make it available here a bit later. You could probably install over the top of your eOS T build so long as you had android 13 on both slots at some point (in my opinion)(I may be wrong about that, but it’s my routine)

1 Like

Hi Chrisrg,

Id be happy to flash your build and yes both slots are loaded with /e/OS T.
I usually prefer to do a clean install, (just in case).

OK, won’t be long; I’m just extracting the boot, dtbo and vendor_boot images you’ll need to install the iode recovery onto device. iode can only be sideloaded from their own recovery, doesn’t work from eos recovery I think. Follow the LOS guide to install.

Here’s the download link:

1 Like

Thanks mate. Im currently backing up and downloading so I’ll be a bit…

Forgot to mention…charging control doesn’t work, safetynet doesn’t pass and bootloader locking not supported. Everything else should be good.

1 Like

Here is the first official build of Pixel 6 pro : Release iodéOS 4.x for Google Pixel 6 pro · iodeOS/ota · GitHub

Hows that for timing… :joy:
My device just booted with Chrisrg build. Testing now…

1 Like

Pfffff! Ah well, passes the time. :joy:

@Duper you’d be better off installing Vince’s official build by a long margin. You’ll get reliable OTA updates and you can lock the bootloader, that’s major plusses in my book. Thanks for trying my build though. :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you for building @chrisrg . I’m flashing the official build now.
Thanks to everyone involved and who have supported the Pixel 6 Pro users.