GPS lock takes a minute

in android settings/system/microG settings
first check “Self-Check” that every box is checked
Under Location, you can then check the NLPs (Network Location Providers) from Wi-Fi locations and Mobile network location

In settings/Location
check the “Use assisted GPS” is enabled
and "Force disable Secure User Plane Location (SUPL) is disabled
and “use Location” is enabled generally

Thats all you can do to assist your GPS location with NLPs

If it still stays worth, it’s your device…
What device and model are you using? What iodeOS version?

update:
find in other thread, it’s a samsung s10e

Thann you Alpha for the explanations.
I coule easily do the second part (location) but i didnt find for the firts part. Hère is what i see (sorry it s in french). I can’t tick anything. Do you know what ciuld i do ?

PS : i m on a trip and dont always have access to internet, i may answer you tmorrow or the day after but your answer will be precious :wink: thank you!

not the settings of the microG app
in system settings. whre you also configure your display or sounds, etc…
there. under system you will find settings for microG

I use GPSTest, see: GPSTest | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository
It is a must have application! Some features: clear assist data, inject PSDS data.
More info can be found at Home · barbeau/gpstest Wiki · GitHub

Settings / microG settings / location:

As you might notice: I do not use Wifi! I care about my privacy. And without it I have a fix within 2 minutes max. Or within 7 seconds. And who cares about WiFi when you are in the woods?

Thank you @AlphaElwedritsch ! I found where to modify the Micro G. I still dont see the NLPs but it’s getting better! (Cf picture)

Are the NLPs important ?

@Guillermo thanks for the idea. For the moment I am trying with the process explained by AlphaElwedritsch. If needed I’ll try yours as well! :slight_smile:

That are NLPs
They assist to get a quicker GPS fix

Ah ok ! Thank you a lot for your help, now i get my location within around 20seconds. It is not perfect, but it is much better than before!
And is very useful as i am on a bike travel. If you give me your adress i can send you a postcard to say thank you :slight_smile:

THX, you can send me a digital one via personal message :wink:

1 Like

Hello @Guillermo I quickly checked the app you propose : it is actually already installed on my mobile. I don’t understand how it can help me to get a better/quicker GPS signal. Can you explain me please ?

Hello @Tartana07, thank you for asking your question. As I mentioned in my earlier post - GPS lock takes a minute - #14 by Guillermo - this app has a possibility to clear assist data and inject PSDS data.

I want to emphasize that a GPS lock within in less than over 2 minutes is really absolutely good! If you want to locate satellites near the site of the previous fix, you will find that it can take place in mere seconds, (much) less than 20 for example! Provided the previous fix didn’t take place too long ago. When a new fix is made on a pitch far away from the previous one, it can take up to 3 minutes (or much more). That’s how it works.

Note: If you move around, that has a huge positive effect on the time taken!

1 Like

Hello,

Does Iodé support Galileo GNSS ?
My Samsung S10e is supposed to be Galileo compatible, but both GPSTest and SatStat only show (9 to 11) GPS satellites and (3 to 6) Glonass satellites.

I refreshed A-GPS with SatStat, and imported PSDS and tremporal data with GPSTest.

On a side note, GPSTest warns that SBAS satellites are not available. Is that normal ?

My Sony XZ2 with iode 4.6 shows the Galileo satellites, tested with GPStest

Thank you @laneb for your feedback !
This proves that Iodé 4.6 supports Galileo GNSS.

I am using Iodé 4.5. I will soon switch to Iodé 4.6.

Hello everybody,

First of all : happy new year :grinning:

I’m coming back about the GPS issue. It is better than when i first wrote here, but it’s still not great. I tried to stay with that, but it’s really too hard. I would say that GPS works in 5 seconds for 10% of the cases, in 30 seconds for 30%, 2 minutes for 20%, and doesn’t work for the 40% left (or takes more than 2 minutes, so I considere it is not working).

Can anybody help me about that? I am also considering going back to “the devil” (Google and friends) or using their tools, because i really need GPS as i am bike travelling.

Thank you for your help, and have a nice day.

PS : i am a simple iode telephone user, i am not good with informatics or technical stuff so i sometimes need informations with easy langage ^^ thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Tartana07 ,

Almost 10 years ago, XDA developers created a Howto video just about How to Make Your GPS Lock Faster !
I did not try it, and don’t know how relevant it remains 9+ years later, but you may give it a try (and give feedback ! :wink: ).

Cobus.

1 Like

There’s only the assisted GPS, SUPL and NLP settings.
If you cannot get a better fix with it, it’s your device (in combination with iodeOS or custom ROMs in general)
But, it’s not iodeOS itself, on my four devices (pixel 5, pixel 6a and monet with iode and OPO 6t with divestOS) i get a fix within seconds

2 Likes

Hello,

On my Fairphone 3+, it usually takes ~2 minutes to have a correct position or does not work at all, except if I launch OsmAnd~, then the time needed is ~ halved or better and works all the time if I keep this app open.
I have all the settings described by AlphaElwedritsch in GPS lock takes a minute - #11 by AlphaElwedritsch

I do not know what OsmAnd~ is using to acquire position, but it is far better than the other apps I’ve tested on my phone, like OpenTracks or Vespucci.

So when I need my geolocation, I launch OsmAnd~ first during ~ 1 minute, and then the app I need.

1 Like

Thank you all for your answers.

I watched the video given by @Cobus, it seemed to be easy to do. I am supposed to put a document in a folder name “system / etc” but un fortuna tell i don’t find it. Do you think it is because i don’t search it correctly (it can be possible) or because the devices changed since then ?

@Canard, i now use mapy.CZ that seems to be faster than thé other app I used before, but it s still complicaed.

I read your message @alpha , and i asked thé latest owner of this phone (second hand) if hé had thé same problem.

You must root your device to do such things