Full Screen Video Playback Issue on Samsung Galaxy S10 SM-G973F

Device Information:

• Model: Samsung Galaxy S10 SM-G973F
  • Operating System: Version 4.2-20230705-beyond1lte, build TQ3A.230605.012 dev-keys (post DRM video hotfix)
  • Root Status: No
  • Application: YouTube, Version 18.25.39 (as of June 26, 2023)

Issue Description: The device’s screen turns off and becomes unresponsive during full screen video playback. This issue was present before the recent DRM video hotfix and persists after the hotfix was applied.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Open the YouTube application.
  2. Navigate to the following video: What does this HUGE jump in SteamOS usage mean? | Steam Deck News 92 - YouTube
  3. Play the video in full screen mode without zooming.

Expected Outcome: The video should play in full screen mode without any issues.

Actual Outcome: The screen turns off and becomes unresponsive during full screen playback.

Additional Information: I have also experienced this issue inconsistently when using the MX Video Player, but I am unable to provide a reliable set of steps to reproduce this. I have found that zooming into the video or opening the notification center over the video can cause the screen to turn back on after a delay. Playback in non-full screen mode does not seem to be affected.

I have recorded a video demonstrating the issue, which can be viewed at the following link: YouTube bug with iodeOS 4.2 on S10 - YouTube

Update on Issue: After conducting numerous tests, I have found a workaround for the issue on the YouTube application. Applying a patch from ReVanced named “Hdr Auto Brightness” (which makes the brightness of HDR videos follow the system default) seems to rectify the problem.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a similar setting associated with HDR in the MX Player settings. However, this is less of an issue as all zoom levels other than the original size work with the HW+ decoder, and this mode is not typically used much casually.

Hi,
We cannot replicate the issue. However, there’s an issue with youtube which had been reported here and is not solved: videos stop playing after a few minutes. This is maybe related to your issue. We did not have time to investigate yet. Good ad-free alternatives exist for youtube, and we have other priorities at the moment…

1 Like

Hello!

I understand that it’s complex task to manage Android distribution. Thanks for your answer and time.

Maybe you can give `NewPipe | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository’ a try?

Apologies for necroposting, however, this issue still remains even with the newest versions of Youtube (Ver 18.32.36) and IodeOS (Ver 4.3 July 31).

I have however been able to reliably reproduce this problem. The issue only appears on higher resolution videos. If a video is played in 1440p60 and is being played fullscreen mode, the screen will instantly turn black. Exiting fullscreen or changing the resolution to one lower than 1440p60 will resolve the issue.

1080p is still a good enough resolution for me, but with a 1440p display, it would be preferable if I could actually watch 1440p videos.

i can share revanced apk, but idk is iode community against that. Send me a dm.

yes, only via dm plaese