FP5 beta bootloop and recovery broken

Hello people
I have the same problem as EthGahus had with the FP5 Beta.

My Phone is only booting to the bootloader.
But my problem is that I can’t even go to recovery. If I chose it in the bootloader it just keeps going back to the bootloader.
At least fastboot is recognized on my computer. But I can’t just sideload the new beta I got from here: https://github.com/vincentvidal/iode_ota/releases/download/v1/iode-5.1-20240513-FP5.zip
As I found out in fastboot I have to flash the partitions separately, maybe I can flash a working recovery and then install the new beta.
Is there a way to install the new beta? I’m not that experienced and don’t want to break it even further.
I’m thankful for any help, for now my FP5 is as useful as a brick.

Hi @Jonnsy , you’re right to be cautious. Meaningful fastboot commands won’t work with locked bootloader, and unlocking bootloader won’t work if OEM unlocking wasn’t toggled on in the developer options.

You would get help quicker in the testers telegram group if you can do that.

Hey Chrisrg
Thank you for the reply. I hope I can do something about it and will join the group.
Yes my bootloader is locked.
What are my options with an otherwise bricked FP?

You can flash this file in bootloader mode, like this :
fastboot update iode-5.1-20240513-FP5-img.zip

1 Like

Thank you vince I tried it and it’s stuck on this:

Bootloader Version...: FP5.TT3M.A.109.20230928
getvar:version-baseband                            FAILED (remote: 'unknown command')
getvar:serialno                                    FAILED (remote: 'unknown command')
--------------------------------------------
extracting android-info.txt (0 MB) to RAM...
getvar:product FAILED (remote: 'GetVar Variable Not found')
extracting fastboot-info.txt (0 MB) to RAM...
extracting super_empty.img (0 MB) to RAM...
extracting super_empty.img (0 MB) to disk... took 0.000s
extracting boot.img (96 MB) to disk... took 0.416s
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
Warning: skip copying boot image avb footer (boot partition size: 0, boot image size: 100663296).
Sending 'boot' (98304 KB)                          

Your fastboot version is perhaps not up-to-date ?

I tried it on a different computer and a different usb cable. It didn’t work. Both PCs are on openSUSE and say that fastboot is up to date.
Error on second device:

extracting android-info.txt (0 MB) to RAM...
Setting current slot to 'b'                        FAILED (remote: 'Slot Change is not allowed in Lock State
')
fastboot: error: Command failed

I’m updating my Windows machine right now and will try it there…

Your bootloader is probably locked ? You must unlock it then, by typing “fastboot flashing unlock”. It will only work if OEM unlocking was still allowed in the system, and will wipe your data…

Maybe before doing this, you also could try to manually change the active slot.
Get the current one : fastboot getvar current-slot (will answer a or b)
and change it to the other one: fastboot --set-active=b (if current slot is a, else b)
==> probably won’t work if your bootloader is locked

Yes my bootloader is locked.

Setting current slot to 'a'                        FAILED (remote: 'Slot Change is not allowed in Lock State
')

FAILED (remote: 'Flashing Unlock is not allowed
')

Is there any hope?
Can I send the device to Fairphone or do I have to trash it :frowning:

I don’t have the FP5 and haven’t experienced this awful state but I’m wondering if you could try getting into fasbootD, AKA userspace fastboot, and try entering recovery from there. It probably won’t work and after issuing the command either it won’t be allowed or it’ll just boot back to fastboot mode.

Anyway try issuing the command fastboot reboot fastboot. Phone would normally start rebooting and after a couple of normal screens, end up in fastbootD mode where you can select Enter recovery.

Sadly this is also not working:
fastboot reboot fastboot

Rebooting into fastboot                            FAILED (remote: 'unknown command')
fastboot: error: Command failed

But thanks anyway I appreciate it!

Then Fairphone are the only way back. I’ve noticed it’s quicker to contact them direct by phone, and they are quite familiar with handling this situation.

Thank you guys for all the answers and help.
I contacted fairphone support and will send the device for repair. Their phone support is not in use any more but I contacted them through the chat which went fast and efficient.
I’m glad I chose fairphone because with any other brand i could just dump the phone without any hope in repair.

1 Like