Whatsapp configuration with Google Drive

Hello everyone !

Okay, there are so many things wrong in the title of this topic! I prefer a thousand times more Signal to Whatsapp, and I am not a huge fan of Google Drive either. Sadly, I couldn’t convert all my relatives to Signal, so I still have so communicate with them through Whatsapp.

I also confort myself by thinking that making these apps work fine on iodé will make it accessible to a wider community (of less-techy people), so let’s call that a bright side!

That being said, I have been trying to create conversation backups on Whatsapp, so that I can move the app to another Android profile on my iodé phone (and stop seeing it so much :grin:). Unfortunately, the backups can be transferred on the cloud only by using a Google Drive account.

In the microG Services Core settings, I have allowed apps to find accounts, after which my Google account registered in MicroG became available in the “Google account” section of the Whatsapp settings. However, when I select the account, there is an authentification attempt (which I assume fails), and then nothing happens, the account is still not selected.

Does this issue ring a bell to anyone of you?

Thanks a lot!

Emmanuel

Hi,
I haven’t tried restoring whatsapp conversations using Google Drive but you could also try to restore them manually using a computer and transferring the WhatsApp folder from one profile to the other
When installing Whatsapp on the new profile, the app will recognize the backup

Hello Antoine,

Thank you for the great tip, it worked fine!

Here are the detailed steps of the procedure, in the event that anyone faces a similar issue:
On your current profile (where Whatsapp is currently in use):

• Switch to Plane Mode (to try not to receive messages during the procedure)
  • In the Whatsapp app, create a local backup (settings > Chats > Backup - Although it will be asked, there is no need to add a Google Drive account)
  • Connect your phone to a computer and enable file sharing
  • Copy on your computer the whole Whatsapp folder

Go on your new profile (where you want to install Whatsapp):

• Remove the Whatsapp app if it is already installed (when proposed, you don’t need to keep the app’s data)
  • On your Android phone, enable again file sharing (it should have been disabled when you switched profiles)
  • Delete the whole Whatsapp folder that is present on your phone, and instead paste the one that you stored on your computer)
  • Disable the Plane Mode
  • Install Whatsapp and activate your phone number
  • When prompted, accept to restore the local backup
    There you go!

Note: Be aware that with this procedure, any message that you receive after creating the backup and before restoring it will be lost.

1 Like

Hello everyone,
important information regarding the local backup structure of whatsapp:
Since version 2.21.9.13, whatsapp changed the location of the backup folder from /WhatsApp to /Android/media/com.whatsapp/WhatsApp.
Also essentail is whatsapps permission to access the phone-data (via settings/apps and notifications/app-info/whatsapp/permissions/data and media).
Afterwards whatsapp is running the local backup without problems
Regards
Thomas

1 Like

The above discribed way by morningCoffee is not working for my Iodé device. The advice by swingding might be helpfull. But as i am a complete noob, i do not know how to use this information and how to incorporate it the step by step manual. Might sombody who has more of an idea about all this stuf be so kind and provide a new, updated step by step discription, so that a real dummy with no clue what so ever can follow it? I am realy desparate right now. Thank you.

The question is, what do you want to do?
Move your account from one device to another?
Save a offline backup?

What i want is moving my whole Whatsapp chats with all the data to the new Iodé divice.
When i had a normal Android. I was moving my Whatsapp account from one device to an other. Just by backupping Whatsapp localy, copping the Whatsapp folder from the old device’s internal storage to the SD card and then puting the SD card into the new device, installing Whatsapp, and getting the restore backup choice, and done: all the Chats, fotos etc. since adam and eve would be back there on the new phone as if nothing ever hapend. But now i copy this folder install whats app and there is no option for restoration of the old chats and nothing is there.

So probably moving my account (with all data) from one device to an other is probably the right discribtion. Thank you.

In the end, your backup must be on the new device in the following folder:
Android/media/com.whatsapp/WhatsApp
There the folders
Backups, databases and Media

If you then install WA and start it for the first time, the backup will be found and restored

You can copy and paste this with PC, connecting your phone to PC

Or via sdcard and a local filemanager on new phone

So do i get this right? First i follow the steps as discribed by morningCoffee in the post of 01.06.21 and after that i just copy paste my backup to
“Android/media/com.whatsapp/WhatsApp
folders
Backups, databases and Media”

Yes
You can copy the whole folder WhatsApp, don’t care about the content. It was just for understanding and clarification.

The important thing is the correct path