Update without Updater?

Iodé 4.2, Fairphone 3
Every time I try to open the built in Updater app it crashes immediately. Purging the storage does not help. How to fix this problem without loosing data?

I guess you tried uninstalling updater from Apps > Pre-installed Apps?

You have the option to update from recovery on your device by sideloading the OS version you require downloaded from the iode website..

Enable developer options on FP3 and confirm it is detected on pc before sideloading. Do not Factory reset/wipe device in recovery; just apply the update.

No, I did not try to deinstall the updater. Should I?

Worth a try. It’s in the “iode news” section of pre-installed apps.

Select for uninstallation, reboot, select for reinstallation, reboot.

Unfortunately reinstalling the updater did not change the situation. It crashes immediately after opening.

So I have to try to update from recovery. I do not know how to do this. I have to connect the FP to a computer?

Ah, you haven’t installed the OS yourself then. It involves having adb and fastboot tools on your computer as a first step. Not sure I can help you…especially if you are on Windows. You could take a look at the Lineage installation instructions where it has links to setting up adb etc.

I installed myself. But long ago and I can’t remember how it was done. I am on a Mac. I have to search if I wrote a memo to me how to install iodé.

My phone is encrypted. Is this a problem or can I follow the instructions given?

ERROR: recovery: footer is wrong
Upodate package verification took 0.1 s (result 1).
ERROR: recovery: Signature verification failed
ERROR: recovery: error: 21

No, it’s ok.

Set usb debugging on phone
Boot recovery and connect to pc.
Watch for pop-up on device asking to allow usb debugging (you may need to issue a cmd in terminal for this to happen, such as adb devices
Then follow the Lineage instructions t o sideload from recovery…but do not wipe.

It takes some time to install (often seeming to stop at 47% on pc, but may vary)

Just getting “signature verification failed”.
I downloaded iode-4.10-20240218-FP3-fastboot.zip. Maybe this is wrong and I should use iode-4.10-20240218-FP3.zip?

Yes, that’s the one you want. Not the fastboot zip.

Keep an eye on your recovery as well jsut in case you get another verification fail . It may ask “you want to install anyway?”

That worked!
Thank you very much!

1 Like

Excellent, glad you fixed it. :grinning: