Update to iode' OS 2.5 on Sony Xperia XZ3

This morning my Sony Xperia XZ3 updated to iode’ OS 2.5 with no problems. What are the updates from 2.4 to 2.5? I don’t see many differences but the Show Changelog on the Updater takes me to an empty Lineage OS page.

Marty

The iodé team builds excellent forks of LineageOS, but their communication has significant room to grow.

The main focus of iodéOS 2.5 is the Android security update 5 May 2022, plus many small improvements in the LineageOS 18.1 source code over the last two months.

I did see the date for security updated so I figured it was safer. I was hoping to also see Android 12 but it is still Android 11.

Thanks for those links!

as long there is no LOS 19.1, you will not see iode 3.0
Simple fact :wink:

The thesis of the supposed simple fact is not tenable because it is not generally real.

For example, the Lineage Android distribution built its last ‘nightly build’ LineageOS 15.1 based on Android 8.1.0 (Oreo) for the Samsung Galaxy S9 (starlte) and S9+ (star2lte) in 2019. For the Xiaomi Mi 9, e. g., there has never been an official nightly build LineageOS.

Nevertheless, the following cannot be overlooked: iodéOS 2.5 based on LineageOS 18.1 (Android 11) and - iodéOS 3.0 based on LineageOS 19.1 ‘beta’ (Android 12), both for Galaxy S9 and S9+ as well as Xiaomi Mi 9 are there.

This means nothing other than that with a manifest.xml, the existing LineageOS source code together with know-how & time, a custom ROM can be built for each device.

We posted a brief changelog on the News app, where we mainly state what we did. Effectively, this does not report all the changes what has been made on lineage, which may be consequent.
Overall, I agree that communication about the OS is a point we have to improve (and will do over time).
And effectively, for devices officially supported by lineage, we wait for the first stable release of the next android version to make the transition to the next major release of iodéOS. Which does not mean that this same major version does not come for the devices we support that are not officially supported by Lineage (sony XZ1, fairphone FP4, samsung 9 series, Teracube 2e, xiaomi mi9).

Just how innovative the iodéOS team is was shown, for example, during the upgrade from iodéOS 1.x to 2.x. The upgrade was seamless via OTA update.

LineageOS from the Lineage Android distribution, on the other hand, requires a manual upgrade via adb sideload - yesterday as well as today. That means an upgrade from LOS 18.1 to 19.1 has “to be done on foot”.

The updater app does not support upgrades from one version of LineageOS to another, and will block installation to any update for a different version. Upgrading manually requires similar steps to installing LineageOS for the first time.

1 Like

I’m glad this OS is actively being updated for easy upgrades!! Thanks to everybody working on this!:+1:

Marty