Seedvault Integration?

Could you perhaps allow to backup apps that have opted out of backups? I cannot backup about half of my apps. Maybe just display a warning when choosing to backup those apps.

Not possible

According to this it should be possible

If the apps in question are open source, I might be the best thing to open an issue with them and ask to enable seedvault integration.

Yes, but problematically

I ran into the same issue on Samsung S9 (starlte) even with version 2.6 as described in [HOWTO] use Seedvault early to understand Android backup - #37 by fab - HOWTOs - /e/ community

while it looks like “Seedvault” is available and also preferred:

$ adb shell bmgr list transports
    com.android.localtransport/.LocalTransport
  * com.stevesoltys.seedvault.transport.ConfigurableBackupTransport

it’s not visible via UI and the check shown in posting looks like having similar output here:

$ adb shell am start-activity com.stevesoltys.seedvault/.settings.SettingsActivity
Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN cat=[android.intent.category.LAUNCHER] cmp=com.stevesoltys.seedvault/.settings.SettingsActivity }

Exception occurred while executing 'start-activity':
java.lang.SecurityException: Permission Denial: starting Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN cat=[android.intent.category.LAUNCHER] flg=0x10000000 cmp=com.stevesoltys.seedvault/.settings.SettingsActivity } from null (pid=20794, uid=2000) requires com.stevesoltys.seedvault.OPEN_SETTINGS
	at com.android.server.wm.ActivityStackSupervisor.checkStartAnyActivityPermission(ActivityStackSupervisor.java:1043)

reproduced on a second Samsung S9 (my test device).

According to latest iode news, a working “seedvault” is required for upgrading to iode 3.x

Any hints available turning “seedvault” really active?

Go to Settings → System → Backup. Seedvault will start.

Hmm, this is not visible. I found “Seedvault” “App info” when searching in Settings, so it’s existing and active somehow, but it’s not visible in the menues. There is no entry between “Date & Time” and “Reset Options” (even if I switch from German to English interface), where it would be expected according to screenshot shown here:

It is maybe a wording issue, as in iodé Backup == Seedvault.

Unfortunatly not, it’s simply missing for whatever reason :frowning:

btw: “adb logcat” shows following short after phone restart:

07-30 11:11:30.676  4600  4787 I BackupManagerService: Starting service for user: 0
07-30 11:11:30.676  4600  4787 V BackupManagerService: [UserID:0] Starting with transport com.stevesoltys.seedvault.transport.ConfigurableBackupTransport
07-30 11:11:30.677  4600  4787 D BackupManagerService: [UserID:0] Started thread backup-0
07-30 11:11:30.701  4600  4787 E BackupPasswordManager: Unable to read backup pw version
07-30 11:11:30.701  4600  4787 E BackupPasswordManager: Unable to read saved backup pw hash
07-30 11:11:30.728  4600  4787 V BackupManagerService: [UserID:0] No ancestral data
07-30 11:11:30.737  4600  4787 I BackupManagerService: isBackupEnabled() => false due to absent settings file
07-30 11:11:30.737  4600  4787 D BackupManagerService: user:0 readBackupEnableState enabled:false
07-30 11:11:30.737  4600  4787 I BackupManagerService: [UserID:0] Backup enabled => false
07-30 11:11:30.737  4600  4787 D BackupManagerService: user:0 writeBackupEnableState enable:false

found also that now while grep through “adb logcat”

07-30 16:58:41.867 18347 18347 W ProcStatsManager: No process com.stevesoltys.seedvault/10127 for service com.stevesoltys.seedvault.transport.ConfigurableBackupTransportService

Ok I misunderstood. Thanks for pointing that out: it indeed seems that there may be this issue for the devices that are have not been reset after we integrated Seedvault. We’ll look for a solution.

btw: seedvault is not required, it may just be a convenient way to backup & restore apps and some data. It is still possible to backup all important data (photos and so on), and restart from scratch. Also note that some apps cannot be backed up by seedvault.

iodeos31_seedvault

A ‘clean install’ of build iode-3.1-20220726-starlte including SeedVault v12-3.0

that would be great, meanwhile I did a factory reset on my test phone and confirm that “Backup” appears then. So it’s related to my productive long running S9, which afair had never a factory reset between all the updates and sidegrades LOS (dropped support) → e/OS (stayed on Android 10 at the time) → iode (available Android 11).

After updating from 2.6 to 2.7 it still not appears :frowning:
Is there still something on the roadmap for 2.x or is the install of (now 3.2) and reconfigure from scratch the only option?

“Seedvault” is still not visible in 2.9, can I run some steps on non-rooted phone using “adb” to enable it?

Let’s have a look in settings/apps/all apps/show system apps/ → serach for seedvault
Must be there
Or
adb shell ‘pm list packages -f’ | sed -e ‘s/.*=//’ | sort | grep seedvault
Should shown as com.stevesoltys.seedvault

If it is there but you cannot see it in settings/system/backup then something is wrong with the overlay

UI: Settings → Apps → Search for “Seedvault” → found with status:

• not able to to deactivate
  • able to force stop
    unlike other apps unable to “open”
adb shell 'pm list packages -f' | sed -e 's/.*=//' | sort | grep seedvault
com.stevesoltys.seedvault

So it’s available, but somehow invisible and unable to start/open via UI.

Can I start/open it using adb?