Questions from a newbie

Hello everyone,

I have just read about iodé, and I have few general questions before becoming a user :slightly_smiling_face:

• Does iodé require the creation of an account to use the smartphone?
  • Is it possible to use all its privacy protection features and a VPN (OpenVPN) at the same time? If the VPN service already provides a DNS filtering service, would it be an issue with iodé itself?
  • I have read that microG can be disinstalled. But how to know which apps can be used without it?
  • Is the interface suitable for poor-sighted people?
  • Can iodé be configured with several user accounts? I mean: admin / users
  • I have seen other posts enquiring about tablets… I would like to understand by when they might be proposed in the online shop

Thank you in advance for your replies. I believe that further questions will come later :grin:

Hello,

I do not have all answers but I bet that others will complete! :slight_smile:

• Does iodé require the creation of an account to use the smartphone?

No.

• Is it possible to use all its privacy protection features and a VPN (OpenVPN) at the same time? If the VPN service already provides a DNS filtering service, would it be an issue with iodé itself?

• I have read that microG can be disinstalled. But how to know which apps can be used without it?

I use https://plexus.techlore.tech/ for that. For example, if you use ProtonMail without microG, notifications in this app will not work: ProtonMail | Plexus

• Is the interface suitable for poor-sighted people?

• Can iodé be configured with several user accounts? I mean: admin / users

• I have seen other posts enquiring about tablets… I would like to understand by when they might be proposed in the online shop

Hi and welcome :wave:

Absolutely! I do this very often (with OpenVPN and iodé blocker activated), without problems so far.

I can’t answer that for sure, but don’t see any problems on this.

In the settings menu, there is an option for activating “multiple users”. I guess that’s android-specific and not iodé-specific.

Hi @Canard, thank you for the answer here

1 Like

Hi @rtfm98 ,

Thank you for your answers.

For information, I tried the “multi-user set up” in the past with an old version of Android, but it was not really doing what I wanted (basically, the second user could do everything they wanted with the phone, apart from modifying the content of the first user)

1 Like

I am adding here a couple of requests more: are all the phones in the store compatible with:
Voice over Wifi
Voice over LTE

Thank you

Hi,
Just to summarize the questions where I think there was no fedback:

• Voice over Wifi
  • Voice over LTE
  • multiple users as admin / guest
  • interface for poor-sighted people
  • availability of tables from the store (by Christmas 2022 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ? )
  • how to know which apps which apps can be used without microG (I am not sure I understood the answer from @Canard there, sorry … )

Thank you in advance to those who will reply

Hi,

Kind reminder :slight_smile:

I am trying to see if I can gather some further feedback (apart that from @Canard and and @rtfm98, that I thank again) to see if iodé could be suitable for me. Unfortunately, I do not see much activity, both in this thread (which is a minor issue, in the end it is only my problem) and in the forum (which is a pity, for iodé and its community). When I posted, I was focusing in my needs, but I also thought about questions that could be interesting to other potential users …
For instance, I believe there are little alternative in the market today to the tablets with the 2 major OSes, and I guess many would have been pleased to have had such a gift for Christmas ( 2022 :slight_smile: ) … in other words, since that could be a source of revenues for iodé, in my view it would be important to communicate when they may be available, to make the potential customers patiently wait … just my 2 cents

If your provider supports WiFiCalling, yes it is available
Not a iodé specific feature

Yes, available, if you have a LTE contract

Never used it, but is is available

There is no iodé specific interface
Normal android 12 interface

No tablet support right now

if you have only apps that are not require GCM, safetynet passing and your happy with only GPS, then you don’t need microG

in general:
The best is, you give it a try

Hi @AlphaElwedritsch
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have appreciate it.

VoWifi / VoLTE : from my experience (but feel free to correct me if I am wrong), it is linked to hardware + software + carrier … and this is the reason why I am asking, I do hot know if the devices in the shop are capable of that, provided that there are no other roadblocks. From your answer, I understand that software is not an issue, if the carrier allows that. Then the open question is about the hardware

Multiple users: I was dissadisfied by what I tested previously in Android, and wondering if iodé was developing something in this field. I understand from your answer that iodé is not.

Interface: OK, then to be customize as much as android allows, or choose another launcher. I hope that choosing a large display would help; if I am not wrong the largest one available from the store is the Samsumg Note 10+

Tablet: I was hoping for an estimated date, linked to the previous item (8" or 10" is better than 6") and the usage I wished to

microG: it is not yet clear to me how to recognize which apps use them. For instance, if it is a basic phone use (calls / SMS / calendar / contacts / messaging apps), would it be necessary? And if we add web browsing / video and music streaming / navigation?

I think you are right that I should try and see if iodé suit my needs. The only concern I have is that I have been waiting for a long time for a ready-to-use privacy-friendly tablet that I do not know if I should still wait some more time (given the constraints highlighted above), or go for a phone (which I do not know need at the moment. Buying a non-essential device bothers me a little bit, from an environmental and economical standpoint). Thank you for your understanding

WiFi Call is not possible without a SIM and a contract.
And it is only a quickhack for the moment you have no reception and you are in a WiFi network.
But, that is my experience, WiFi Calling does not work as good as normal calling

All that works without microG
some apps and some use cases needs microG but not in general

If you do not need the phone function and you need a big screen, then yes, you have to wait. Or you have to think about a GSI on a 10" tablet, as alternative.

Hi @AlphaElwedritsch

Actually, I have been really satisfied with Wifi Calling so far

Thank you for all your answers

I assume Samsung devices won’t support WiFi calling (as the driver is proprietary) Do all the other devices support it? Which device(s) are/have you used with iode that support it?

thanks

The mi10 series

1 Like