Qs using TWRP recovery and Shelter on iodé (Samsung Galaxy Note 9)

I have two questions:

1. I know the official instructions are to use LineageOS’s Heimdall recovery, but I have been using TWRP for my custom recovery for flashing custom ROMs. Currently, TWRP has a bug/feature where the device’s memory is encrypted by default. Device encryption is something that I like and want in normal situations for the added security, so I do not want to flash magisk or root my phone to ‘fix’ the encryption bug/feature. But I am worried that this encryption will brick my phone when updating the OS via OTA. I had this same encrypted issue when I was running LineageOS 17.1, but even though I got an error in the TRWP update log, I was still able to update my OS with no actual impact on the update process. Can I expect the same during the iodé update process?

2. I use Shelter that can isolate invasive apps from Aurora/Play Store into a separate sandbox (using Android’s Work profile) to minimize my personal data that can be leaked via those apps. However, I am curious if the iodé blocker works across both personal and work accounts, or if it only works on apps installed in the main personal account. Looking at the app list in the blocker app, it seems that it’s only the apps installed in the personal profile, but I wanted to make sure if that is indeed the case.

You can expect the same behavior as LineageOS for OTA updates.

About Shelter this is a bit tricky (and may evolve in the future):

• in each profile (personal or work), you can install the blocker UI.
  • when started from the personal (resp. work) profile, the blocker UI only shows apps installed in that profile.
  • in both cases, you see statistics accumulated from both profiles.
2 Likes

That’s great to hear, thank you for the information. :smiley:

I’ve had problems backing up using TWRP in the past because it could only decrypt with my password from my lock screen and then it didn’t make a good backup. I was told the solution is to first boot the system and remove the password from the lock screen. Then go into recovery and backup. It is not encrypted this way and doesn’t ask for a password.

I just made a backup this way last night using iode’ version 1.2 and TWRP 3.3.1-0 on a Sony Xperia XZ1 and I got a 6 GB backup. Hopefully it restores OK if ever needed.

Hope I understood your problem!

Marty