In the past weeks the phone started losing mobile data functionality and it seems to get worse.
When the phone is strated up fresh or restarted the data connection is just fine, but after some minutes it gets lost. In the settings its still activated, it seems more like its “lost the signal”.
Which very much seems to be not the case as a restart ifxes this again at first and also it doesnt matter where I am (big city, also in foreign countries).
Do I have to fear that something with the modem inside is physically broken or has anybody an idea whats causing this and even better how to solve it?
Resetting the wireless connections doesnt fix the issue, neither does resetting APN.
Is the loss of mobile data related to you receiving a voice call? Possibly you don’t have VoLTE enabled (4G voice calls) and if that is true AND your carrier discontinued its 3G network, then when you receive a call it disconnects from 4G and reconnects at 2G for the call (and thus breaks mobile data).
To your APN reset, was it just with the “reset” button or did you check the APN values and confirm they match your carrier specifications?
No, its not because of calls. My provider doesnt support VoIP btw. but that didnt change recently so shouldnt cause any issues.
After your suggestion I was looking up the APN settings and there really was something different in their documentation then what is automatically set (stranage enough…) but unfortunately that didnt end the issue.
Any idea how to diagnose this further? Maybe something is physically broken, how would one find that out?
Side note but VoLTE is not VoIP per se. If your carrier has a 4G /5G then it does support VoLTE because that is essentially “4G Voice Calls”. Please check out my documentation: Non-working mobile data / voice calling guide ("APN" / "VoLTE" issues) where you can get some clues from *#*#4636#*#* etc.
Sorry, I did mean VoLTE and not VoIP there…
I attached 2 screenshots from my phone, first one looks good ( I am traveling and therefor the roaming), the IMS not so I guess. But can I do about that?
IMS registration requires mobile data / APN settings being correct, so I still suspect them. Can you get that info? (look at the link above for "non-working mobile data / voice calling guide)
I just learned that my carrier does not support VoLTE fpr the Pixel 4a.
Unfortunately the behavior also appears when VoLTE is turned off.
I also got a new SIM card which didnt solve the issue eother.
I found this stuff and thought I might give it a try, but I am not a really competent user fully understanding much (or even all!?) of this and so I am hesitant.
What do you guys think:
And one thing thats really confusing is that the use of Aurora Store immediately leads to a loss of the mobile data connection (the slider in the menu always stays on though). Any idea what that could mean?!
Edit: and also interesting that the connection NEVER goes back on, its just one way…
Since your carrier doesn’t allow the Pixel 4a to use VoLTE / IMS registration I don’t know what this would solve: the problem isn’t that the hardware doesn’t support VoLTE, it is that your carrier is not allowing it… right?
I am also confused a bit by the purpose of the PixelIMS project: all the features they note are already supported for the devices that the project supports?
Thanks for looking at it rik, I guess you are right…
I’ll try my SIM card in other devices, beginning with another Pixel 4a and see if its the same issue there. If not I’d guess something physical is going on.
And to add to the observation with Aurora: its not immediately but after the forst download that the data istn working anymore, same with other app stores. Isnt that crazy?
In the summer I was in the US and after that I think (or maybe just make up…) that it started happening. Can it be that some deep settings changed there that not automatically turn back in Europe?