Hello, I just updated to iodé 3.0 and while testing the new features I noticed that the privacy indicator for microphone usage has a very inconsistent behaviour. It sometimes shows up when one app is using the microphone, but sometimes it doesn’t. More surprisingly, for the same app it can show up in some cases and not in others. Here’s what I’ve tested so far:
The microphone privacy indicator is not showing up for me in the following cases:
- when recording a Voice Message in Signal (version 5.40.4 downloaded from Aurora Store)
- when recording a Voice Note on the system Recorder App (org.lineageos.recorder Version 12)
- when recording a video with Open Camera (com.iode.opencamera Version 1.49.2-iode.3)
- when recording a video in WhatsApp (Version 22.214.171.124 download from Aurora Store)
However, the microphone privacy indicator shows up properly in the following cases:
- when recording a video in Signal (version 5.40.4 downloaded from Aurora Store)
- when recording a Voice Message on WhatsApp (Version 126.96.36.199 download from Aurora Store)
- when recording a video in GrapheneOS Camera app (app.grapheneos.camera Version 40 probably downloaded from GitHub but I honestly don’t remember for sure)
I have searched on internet and found no reports for such issues under Android 12 or LineageOS 19. Is anyone experiencing this with iodé 3.0?
How can the apps “choose” to escape a system feature meant to protect our privacy from sneaky apps?