iodéOS + Teracube 2E

@brunal, how goes the world with you?
After reviving your T2e. Which OS is now running on your device?

@iodysseus Nice. My teracube 2e is running iodé os 1.3 and works fine and sometimes slow down a little bit. I’m waiting iodé os 2.0 (Android 11) like the Samsung s9.
I have installed iodé os on the fairphone of my wife but she prefer /e/ os.
I like the Blocker
See you

@brunal, this may also be due to the simple hardware of the T2e. And in my experience, AOSP 11 isn’t always the better or faster solution. For example, my old-timer Samsung Galaxy S4 runs no better with LineageOS 18.1 than with LOS 17.1. You can’t make a racehorse out of an old horse. It’s important to me that the devices have as less Google spies as possible.

@iodysseus Yes that’s right. Me too , i want a degoogled phone and i Love my t2e.

An alpha build of iodéOS based on Android 11 is actually being tested. Stay tuned !

iodé-Recovery T2e

When I switched from iodéOS 1.3 to iodéOS 1.4, I changed the custom recovery at the same time.

image T2e iodé-recovery

With the new iode-1.4-recovery (iode-1.4-20210828-2e-recovery.img) I miss the BACK button [ ] which allows an easy return to the previous screen.

Hi,

Any news about iodé 3.0 for Teracube 2E?

… what is different and or better than in version 2.5 (LOS 18.1, AOSP 11)?

The difference is clearly AOSP 12 and LOS 19.1.

Okay, you’re not interested in a discussion. That is of course respected. Only, from your answer it is not recognizable what the difference “cleary AOSP 12 and LOS 19.1” represents.

Visually there is almost no difference between iodéOS 2.5 and iodèOS 3.x for my eyes. Neither is there any difference in performance.

One feature of Android 12 highlighted by Google is a privacy dashboard that allows users to be better informed about the data that apps are accessing. The new Privacy Dashboard provides a single view of your permission settings and what data is being accessed, how often, and by which apps. In addition, you can request details from an app about why sensitive data was accessed.

Well, iodéOS has been particularly concerned about data protection and privacy since its first release with iodé 1.x (AOSP 10 / LOS 17.1). This cannot be said of the Lineage Android distribution to this extent in any of its versions, not even LOS 19.1.

In iodéOS 2.x (AOSP 11 / LOS 18.1), the core Ad/Malware Blocker feature was further refined. The default Google’s DNS in LineageOS continues to be replaced by Quad9’s ‘unblocked’ servers. A-GPS patches and connectivity check via captiveportal kuketz de are mandatory anyway.

From the core of the operating system, the iodé smartphone monitors DNS requests and transmissions of network packets. iodé blocks requests and transmissions to recipients declared by the open source community as ‘squealers’ (advertisements, malware, spam, spyware, statistics & trackers). The iodé user interface allows you to visualize the blocked requests and transmissions per app and control the blocker for each app.

A smoothly running iodéOS 2.x with always updated Android security patches is in no way worse than iodéOS 3.x vs. LineageOS 19.1. It is a fallacy to believe that custom ROMs based on AOSP 12 are better than AOSP 11. Android 13 will not bring any groundbreaking innovations either, except for a higher version number (13).

1 Like

Hi,
I bought my teracube 2a directly from you (that’s the best way to sustain your project in my opinion) and I’m happy with it.
My question is not technical, it just about the way you would support this device in the future.

Does this mean that in the corresponding configuration files e.g. “SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com” has been replaced by “SUPL_HOST=localhost”? Or what exactly is meant by this?

Regarding the procedure for updates, there was already something here:

Well, In iodéOS the Assisted-GPS server (A-GPS) supl.google.com is replaced by supl.vodafone.com.

The telecommunications and technology group Vodafone Group has its headquarters in Newbury near London.

Now that the UK is no longer in the European Union (EU), the General Data Protection Regulation GDPR is no longer binding for the British.

However, if servers are located on German soil under the care of the German subsidiary Vodafone GmbH, then the General Data Protection Regulation (DSGVO or DS-GVO; French: Règlement général sur la protection des données RGPD) applies, which would be optimal.

Anyway: If our GPS data is in the hands of European companies, I’m much more sympathetic than Google, USA.

1 Like

The energy crisis caused by the Ukraine war in the middle of Central Europe shows us how much elementary dependencies on others can be detrimental to one’s own business.

With the 3.x upgrade for the Xiaomi Mi 9, the iodéOS team has once again proven their excellent know-how, because the Lineage Android distribution does not officially support the MI 9. Nevertheless, the Mi9 runs with modified code from Lineage under AOSP 12. iodé.tech, Toulouse, has only one serious weakness in my opinion: too limited manpower. The neighbors from Paris also complain about too less manpower.

Not ideal, but OK. DSGVO or not, I don’t trust companies like Vodafone. But still, this is certainly the least possible evil when you “have” to choose a server. And in any case much better than Google. Personally, I would prefer to do without A-GPS and thus deactivate it (SUPL_HOST=localhost). My Navi did not have this in the past and I was satisfied with it. But I can understand the decision of iodé. People are now used to this from smartphones and would probably criticize iodé.

SUPL server alternatives identified to date are:

supl.vodafone.com: location is Germany, self-hosting
supl.sonyericsson.com: located in Ireland, hosted by Amazon
agpss.orange.fr: Location is France, self-hosting
supl.qxwz.com: Location is China, Hosting unknown
agps.supl.telstra.com: Location is Australia, selfhosting

Mike Kuketz, 4.9.2019

Now you have to ask yourself if a fast GPS positioning via SUPL is important to you or if your privacy is. If it is the privacy, then you have to make the following change to the gps.conf and then reboot your device:

SUPL_HOST=localhost
SUPL_PORT=7275

supl.vadofone.com is a CNAME for supl.google.com

So due to a rooted device I will use or try magisk-supl-replacer

source: Kuketz-Blog: Bei jeder Standortermittlung erfährt Google eure Position inkl. IMSI-Nummer

1 Like

Yes, I also noticed this a long time ago.

And that’s not iodé’s solution!
The solution of iodé (see technical documentation, page 4) is that the personal identifiers are not sent to Google:

1.4 Assisted Global Positioning System (A-GPS)
LineageOS uses location reporting with Google’s secure user plane location (SUPL) server (supl.google.com) for A-GPS. This helps in speeding up device positioning when using A-GPS, but each request to the server includes the device’s International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI), International mobile subscriber identity (IMSI) along with the phone number. We use a patch to avoid leaking personal data to SUPL server.

2 Likes

Btw, the IMSI removal patch has been reworked a bit and integrated into LineageOS 20: Remove sensitive info from SUPL requests · LineageOS/android_frameworks_base@90d6826 · GitHub

1 Like