iodéOS for Tablet

My clan and I really appreciate iodéOS, a soft fork of LineageOS, but have to use LineageOS or LineageOS-for-microG or /e/OS on Android tablets.

Official and unofficial premium AOSP ROMs based on LineageOS, now more tried and tested for months, are available for these excellent tablets:

/e/OS9-pie - Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 Wi-Fi SM-T713 “gts28vewifi”
LineageOS for microG 16.0 - Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 Wi-Fi SM-T713 “gts28vewifi”

/e/OS 9-Pie - Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 Wi-Fi SM-T813 “gts210vewifi”
LineageOS for microG 16.0 - Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 Wi-Fi SM-T813 “gts210vewifi”

LineageOS 16.0 [unofficial by pitrus] - Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 Wi-Fi SM-T713 “gts28vewifi”
LineageOS 16.0 [unofficial by pitrus] - Galaxy Tab S2 9.7.0 Wi-Fi -T813 “gts210vewifi”

LineageOS 17.1 [unofficial by pitrus | ripee] - Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 Wi-Fi SM-T713 “gts28vewifi”
LineageOS 17.1 [unofficial by pitrus | ripee] - Galaxy Tab S2 9.7.0 Wi-Fi -T813 “gts219vewifi”

/e/ OS-Q [unofficial by h0sch180] - Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2016) SM-T585 “LTE”
/e/ OS-Q [unofficial by h0sch180] - Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2016) SM-T580 “Wi-Fi”

LOS 17.1 ‘core’ (+) [unofficial by h0sch180] - Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2016) SM-T580 “Wi-Fi”
(+) Signature Spoofing/MicroG support, e.g. Minimal microG NoGoolag Edition or NanoDroid-microG

/e/OS9-R 18.1 - Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite SM-P610 “gta4xlwifi”
LineageOS 18.1 - Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite SM-P610 “gta4xlwifi”
LineageOS 18.1 for microG - Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite SM-P610 “gta4xlwifi”

/e/OS9-R 18.1 - Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e SM-T725 “gts4lv”
LineageOS 18.1 - Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e SM-T725 “gts4lv”
LineageOS 18.1 for microG- Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e SM-T725 “gts4lv”

/e/OS9-R 18.1 - Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e SM-T720 " gts4lvwifi"
LineageOS 18.1 - Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e SM-T720 " gts4lvwifi"
LineageOS 18.1 for microG - Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e SM-T720 " gts4lvwifi"

iodéOS for Android Tablet would be a welcome addition!

2 Likes

These Samsung tablets run with me a /e/OS-Q GSI ROM:

Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 (2020) Versions: SM-T500 (Wi-Fi only); SM-T505 (LTE)

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019) Versions: SM-T510 (Wi-Fi); SM-T515 (LTE)

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5 (2018) Versions: SM-T590 (Wi-Fi); SM-T595 (LTE)

GSI ROM aren’t as perfect as device-specific custom ROMs, but still degoogled.

I actually have an unofficial /e/OS-R running on my Galaxy tab a t580 and would love to try an iode version on my tablet

Hi,

I would like to buy a tablet running iodeOS (I bought my teracube 2e last September directly from iode and I’m really happy with it), I’m sure I’m not the only one… Please consider working on this issue.
Thanks.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve been dreaming of a tablet with iodéOS for a while. My favourites are two inexpensive premium, fast and slim tablets::

Dimensions
245 mm (9.65 in) (h)
160 mm (6.3 in) (w)
5.5 mm (0.22 in) (d)

Latest Stock Android 11, July 2022 Update
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (LTE) (gts4lv) * supported by LineageOS 19.1
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (Wi-Fi) (gts4lvwifi) * supported by LineageOS 19.1

I guess the Samsung Tab S5e and S6 lite are likely to be good candidates … Not having one, I guess the almost any would be fine as initial proposal from the store …
I do not know where we can try to summarize the requirements, if that could drive the choice … for instance, for me it is important to have LTE/4G, phone capabilities (at least SMS), and a big plus would be different accounts (kind of administrator vs restricted). Or perhaps a portable option (8"?) with LTE/4G, and a shared home device (10" or more) with wifi?
Any suggestions?

Seen through my eyes, the Tab S6 Lite looks cheap compared to the Tab S5e. The build quality of the Tab S5e is much higher.

But in particular, the 10.5" Super AMOLED 1600 x 2560 pixels of the Tab S5e is many times more brilliant than the 10.4" TFT LCD 1200 x 2000 pixels of the S6 Lite. In addition, the octa-core Qualcomm SDM670 Snapdragon 670 calculates noticeably faster than octa-core Exynos 9611. Finally, at 400 g (14.11 oz), the Tab S5e is over 60 grams lighter than the Samsung Tab S6 Lite.

Currently, the Tab S5e is supported by LineageOS 19.1, LineageOS-for-mircoG 19.1 and /e/OS ‘S’ based on Android 12 and leaves little to be desired, except - for an iodéOS 3.x ROM :o)

Would be nice: an (in)official statement from the iode team if there are any plans for an iode tablet for this year 2023. Personally I need a tablet this year and I am not willing to give a single cent to Apple any more …

2 Likes

I’d love it as well. Thank you @Pingus for the request

@iodysseus
What an impressive list!
My favourite is the Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e now which got recently an update with LineageOS 20. I will try to get a used one and try to install it - unless there is not a slight hope that iode has some plans for a tablet.
It’s a pity that there is no reaction at all here …

Unfortunately the quantities of Tablets we would get from our HW partners are not big enough for us to put our efforts on supporting a new model for now… But we keep an eye on your suggestions, and who knows … Maybe at some point this year it will happen anyway!

2 Likes

That model suggested by @Pingus is the one I would target …

@Antoine : any hopes that, even a small stock of Samsung Tab S5e would be made available in the store during this year? Just for a handful of us :innocent: that would be interested to provide some feedback for the community and fuel the hype?
Personally, I do feel there is a certain demand for privacy-conscious tablets, and iodé could be a pioneer there …

Thinking (well writing) aloud, what about open some pre-ordering?
A poll just to understand how many would be interested / available to pay in advance for a refurbished (or a even a new) device with iodéOS pre-installed.
If the device should be indicated, it would be Samsung Tab S5e (cellular model).

Thank you

2 Likes

Hi,

Maybe you could support a model that is currently sold. For example galaxy tab 6 lite. You could sell it as new device with iodeOS preinstalled. Of course it’s not as powerful as 5 e, but this could give us a viable option.

1 Like

I agree with @Vincenzo that might be a solution … better that than nothing… although I would go for the S5e (cellular model) :innocent:

Let’s poll ! Who knows how to open a poll? Let me try …

Interested in a iodéOS tablet? If yes, which one?
  • Samsung Tab S5e Wifi
  • Samsung Tab S5e Cellular
  • Samsung Tab S6e Lite Wifi
  • Samsung Tab S6e Lite Cellular

0 voters

I’m interested is some affordable and compact tablet with decent hardware to replace my Nexus 7 2013. Not buying google tablet anymore but iode tablet would be nice and practical.

S6 lite wifi looks pretty good.

At first glance, the Galaxy Tab S6 Lite may look good depending on the viewer’s perspective. Upon closer inspection in a direct comparison, I immediately see that the Galaxy Tab S5e is clearly the more valuable tablet.

For example, the Galaxy Tab S5e is particularly striking with its colorful, high-resolution and exceptionally bright 10.5" Super AMOLED display (resolution: 1600 x 2560 pixels (288 ppi)). In contrast, the noticeably darker 10.4-inch IPS display of the Galaxy Tab S6 Lite with a low resolution of 2000 by 1200 pixels and 224 dpi looks like a cheap China tablet. The Galaxy Tab S6 Lite’s display isn’t particularly viewing-angle stable either - it can of course be used well when held in front of the face at an angle of 90 degrees.

Both tablets have a metal frame and a metal back, but they do not feel the same. In terms of handling, the Tab S5e (5.5 mm thin, 400 grams light) clearly gives me the more professional finish compared to the S6 Lite (7 mm, 467 grams).

2 Likes

I am not a hardware expert but also the fact that the Galaxy Tab S5 has a Snapdragon processor made me voting for this device. And the fact that it got already LOS 20 - we know that the iode team pretty much depends on the work of the LOS developpers …
The Tab S6 has an Exynos chip and and has no Android 13 yet.

Let’s hope there will be more votes … otherwise we will not see any iodéOS tablet soon … :cry:

Yes, you are right, s5e is nicer tablet. Although s6 lite has 3.5mm jack and is better suitable for stulys, which s5e is lacking.

I have now an option to buy used s5e with keyboard book cover, 179 euros. Should i bite the bullet, do you think that is a good deal? /e/ os supports s5e so there is a way to degoogle (prefering iode but what can you do).

Ps.
Degoogled.com sells s6 lite. Pretty similar concept what was suggested in the thread.

Ps2. I bought Tab A7 lite (8.7") to replace nexus 7. Using it without google account. Installed Aurora Store and F-droid. In the end 10" tab is too big for my use case.

it seems that still too fewer votes to suggest a huge need for a iodéOS tablet …
On one hand, I am disappointed …
On the other, I am happy to see that the Tabs S5e (cellular :wink: ) is in a good position …

Ok, let’s be patient …

1 Like