FP4 Relocked bootloader Futur updates

Hi community,

I have several questions about the new situation of relocked bootloader on FP4.
If i follow all steps describe in the guide and update to the last build, then relock my bootloader :

1- May i have for each new futur major updates to unlock it again, flash new key and then flash the Os ? Or this steps must be done just once now, and then other update are done in the android menu ?

2- Will I be able to install the beta tester update app after this major update ?
3- Beta tester futur updates will be done via app or need to be flash ?

Thanks for help.

1 Like
  1. only once. Only because of the new key. All further updates automatically via OTA
  2. yes you can install beta updater
  3. OTAs via updater app
1 Like

Gotcha ! Thanks for your help.

@AlphaElwedritsch new question for you !

All goes well with flashing key, make the update and relock bootloader.

But now i still have a yellow message on boot about having changed the system. Is that normal ? Is there a way to avoid this message on boot ?

I don’t understand why iodeos was accepted as a “normal” system before and now as a “modified” one.

Thanks.

1 Like

The ‘yellow’ state is just what was expected, see Boot Flow  |  Android Open Source Project.
Root of trust is set by the user for a custom OS.

1 Like

Yes, that’s normal and you have to see this

No

That’s because of the correct avb_custom_key now.

Thank you both for your help and answer.
I’m glad to see this is the normal behavior.
Thanks for the hard work you do !!

Cant I use the “old” key and not have my phone wiped?

no, not if you want to use a version higher then 220405 and your bootloader is locked
or if you have not re-locked your bootloader

as described here:

Ok, I’m just looking for options here. My phone is finally working as I’d like and to start over again is a real pain.
How can I check if my bootloader is locked? I’ve set to option in Android to enable bootlocking but I don’t actually know if it is locked.

Also, is moving apps to SD card also a way to backup apps+appsettings\data?

via adb command: adb reboot bootloader
or via advanced reboot menu: settings/system/gestures/power menu/advanced restart
boot into bootloader, there you will see if your bootloader is locked or not

via seedvault: settings/system/backup
and via “config export” in apps, if supported

Firstly, thanks for the help FPHulk!

But I’m screwed, my bootloader is locked.

Is there an apk where I can use Seedvault? I don’t have a rooted device but it seems that’s not neccesary?

Also is there a way to export the config of the Trebuchet app so I don’t have to reorganize my 100+ apps again? Also done by seedvault? That’d be awesome.

Seedvault is the built in backup
Go to settings/system/backup
That’s seedvault
Use a USB stick and follow the instructions.
As long as I know, the trebuchet launcher settings will be included as part of seedvault
At the end of the backup process you will get a summarization of which apps and settings are backed up and which not

Wow that’s awesome. Didn’t even know it was there. I will do that. Thanks again!

You can follow my detailed instruction if your are not so fimilar …
Or the original one

1 Like

First @AlphaElwedritsch I really have to thank you. Without your instructions I wouldn’t be here right now. To be honest, a week ago I knew nothing about Custom ROMs, rooted phones or degoogled Androids. But since last weekend I lay in bed with a cold and here we are… - so yeah I’m not so familiar.
Just to be clear: I’ve just installed iode - 220405 and have to do the exact same thing with iode - 220407?
The avb_key needs to be erased again and the one in the archive is another one?
The recovery image must be flashed again?

Hi @Protosom
First, I am glad to hear that everything work s fine (with my intsruction) and that you are now a member of the Custom ROMs inner circle members :wink:

But, no, no, all these steps you asked for, are not necessary.
The avb_key is the final one and it will never changed in the future. Once installed and bootloader is re-locked, everythin is fine.
Recoverys, will be installed in the OTA updates automatically, if there is a need to install a new one.

One question?
Your installed internal Updater does it find the Update 220407 automatically?

If yes:
Install 220407 as OTA Update. That’s all.

If no:
If you install this beta updater: UpdaterIodeBetaAndroid11ToAndroid11V2.apk from here: beta · master · iode / ota · GitLab
(simply install the apk manually. It will update the pre-installed one)
Then the Updater should find the update and goes forward as OTA update.

That’s it.
Everything, no rocket science… :wink:

Alright. Indeed the updater finds the very update. The reason I asked the question in the first place is that the iode-news app states:

A new iodé update is available, but a manual installation is required for FP4 users who relocked their bootloader, by downloading the build 20220407 from our archive…

So this is a bit misleading for users who flashed the key with the previous build. Or am I still not getting it? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Probably even rocket science is no rocket science. :rocket:

1 Like