Downgrading microG

Hi,

I’m having trouble with one of my main apps, Tasker
The problems started after updating microG to v30 (and v31 didn’t solve it)

I can’t be sure that microG is the issue, but I’d like to test it. Unfortunately, trying to install the older verson via Fdroid gives an error (older version code…).

Is there any way to downgrade microG?

thanks

You can download the version you want here and then adb install -d your.apk.
However there were only minor changes, I don’t see how it could be related…

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try that tonight.

The behaviour I’m currently getting is very strange, and while I agree that it being microG’s fault seems strange, it was the only thing that changed on my phone.
Plus Tasker is the onyl paid app I use (installed through Aurora by using my Google account), so maybe it has to do with that (some kind of intentional anti-piracy behaviour)

I tried tasker: it it works for me, with microG v31.

2 Likes

I also have the same problem. Suddenly, Tasker does not work anymore. Shortly before, fake store and microg were updated via f-droid.

Phone. FP4
iodeOS-VS: 4.0-20230131-FP4

First of all, thanks for you help, Vince!
Tasker “works” on the latest microG in the sense that there is nothing obviously wrong - but the tasks lock up

But thanks to your Repo as well as the adb command, I downgraded microG as well as FakeStore and everything worked again :grinning:
so than i of course updated via Fdroid to see if it would break again and it did

I’ve narrowed it down: the problem is not microG, but actually FakeStore
After downgrading to FakeStore-4.apk Tasker runs fine again

Edit:
after having had a look at your repo and seeing that you added an “empty licensing service” in the last update, maybe my first guess of some kind of anti-piracy measure wasn’t too far off
Not that I expect you to revert that, but if other apps keep acting up, this could be the reason and testing by downgrading to FakeStore v4 can be easily done

1 Like

Thank you @Privateer for your solution. Exactly, the fake store is the culprit. Downgraded. That was. Tasker works as it should.

Thank you @vince31fr for the quick response.

Automate saves :grinning:

1 Like

Effectively, I added a skeleton of licensing service, which just answers that there is no licensing service… This makes at least one app work (french govt taxes app… what a pity). But, if there are problems for other apps, it may be reverted / modified.
Could you grab a logcat of the crash with FakStore iode.5 ?

Thats the thing, it doesn’t crash.

Tasker automates things - p.e. (de)activating display rotation when a specific app is running.
On FakeStore iode.4 (and all the way back to IodeOS 3.1) it works like a charm.
On FakeStore iode.5 most of the time / most task are simply not performed and hang at random points (without giving an error, it just stops at random points)

Like I said, I suspect some kind of stealthy anti-piracy measure within the app - one that intentionally doesn’t give an obvious sign that the app won’t run and is therefore more difficult to pin down for crackers

@vince31fr

FP4
iodeOS 4.1
The update from 4.0 to 4.1 went smoothly.

But the same problem back! Tasker has no triggers. Tasks just don’t run without giving an error message !!! No crash.

Downgraded Fakestore from v5. to v4 via ADB command and got success message. After restart the phone , under Settings → Apps - Fakestore still shows 0.1.0-iode.5 even though automatic update was disabled on f-droid.

Any advice? Many thanks in advance.

With that command : ‘adb install -d FakeStore-4.apk’, the app should be downgraded to version 4. As you remarked, we did not find a solution yet to combine the advantages of both versions. There should be some advances at some point in time.

@vince31fr Thank you for your reply.

I tried to downgrade with ADB command like last time with iodeos 4.0. But now with iodeos 4.1, FakeStore automatically reverts to version 5 while automatic Update is disabled in F-Droid.

That’s fine. I’m trying to use my phone without Tasker. Maybe in the future it will work agian with Tasker :wink:

Downgrading should work… Did you try to uninstall previous FakeStore updates ?

@vince31fr
Yes, I have also tried. Unfortunately without success. First I uninstalled, via preinstalled apps. Then downloaded and installed via f-droid, while disabling the automatic update. Now the app Tasker works again. But other apps report missing playstore (e.g. VoIP app).

So I decided to go without Tasker and with the latest FakeStore.

I just wait for the future. :wink:

Hi
I also had problems with the latest April update (3.6 in my case on a S10e)
Fakestore was updated to v5 (as expected), but downgrading wia adb does no longer work:
I can downgrade and Fakestore v4 is reported in settings / apps, however with every reboot it is auto-update to v5 again (with updates being disabled in FDroid)

For now, I’ve unistalled FakeStore via the preinstalled apps to than install v4 via Fdroid.
I had to manually grant the spoof package signature permission and for now it seems to be working.
However, as far as I can tell, FakeStore is no longer a system app

I bought the app Tasker directly from the developer a few years ago and then completely forgot about it. After a long search, I found the purchased app version in my backup and installed it. Incredibly, Tasker works again, even with FakeStore 5.

Edit: @noone got me thinking and I simply purchased the non-Play Store version of Tasker. All good now and I no longer have to worry about system updates :smiley:

thats good, unfortunately I bought mine through the Play Store and just today I discovered an app thats not working with FakeStore installed in the user space

@vince31fr how are the preinstalled apps handeled/being installed from the settings? through the iode Blocker app? If so - and if that app has been updated, could you kindly provide me with the previous version?
I would like to test if FakeStore is still upgraded on every boot with the previous version

thanks a lot

The apps we distribute through f-droid are available here: fdroid/fdroid/repo at master · iodeOS/fdroid · GitHub.
FakeStore must effectively be installed as a system app.

An improved version of the licensing version has just been included in FakeStore (see Create LicensingService stub by Uldiniad · Pull Request #37 · microg/FakeStore · GitHub). I informally reported the issue with tasker. If it persists, you should open an issue on FakeStore repository and provide logs.