Couple of Questions - Spotify and Whatsapp

This isn’t an Iodé specific question, but somewhat relevant.

Basically, I’m wondering about two apps: Spotify and WhatsApp. I have heard that Spotify has terrible privacy practices, to the extent of listening through your mic, and generally collecting as much data as they can. WhatsApp is the most common messaging app in my country, and whilst I’m loathe to use it, it can be hard to convince people to use Signal.

So I’m wondering - Is there a way to minimise or totally limit the privacy concerns of these apps? I know the Iodé blocker does a lot of good, but can I be certain these clever apps aren’t still somehow collecting data, spying etc.? I’m currently using LineageOS, but planning to switch to Iodé soon, so I’m just wondering if there is a benefit for this particular issue?

Thanks!

using both apps isolated in work profile with shelter and enabled iodè blocker with maximum filters.
if you want do more or if this is not enough for you, don’t use the apps.
But you cannot modify the behavior of the apps for itself

1 Like

Iodé blocker, plus all Android security features (selinux, app isolation, permissions etc), prevent the apps to access most of your personal data (data from other apps, etc). Using another isolation level like shelter as @AlphaElwedritsch suggests can improve that, as it is difficult to guarantee a total absence of leaks in AOSP. Most common trackers are blocked by iodé, so most data gathered from your usage habits should not be sent anywhere. However, without knowing exactly what and how these apps grab, it is not possible to fully protect the users. In theory, whatsapp uses end-to-end encryption, but what guarantees that no personal data is gathered before being encrypted ?..

1 Like

Hi, you could also try WhatsApp to go (available on F-droid). It’s essentially a browser using WhatsApp web. It doesn’t require location or contacts permission.
Of course all your activities (messages and their meta data) are tracked by whatsapp, but there is no way to avoid that.

But you need a native WA instance active on any device.
The app you suggested is nothing different then using WA in a browser.
It cannot work standalone

You’re right. You need another mobile phone with the original WA active. In my case I have an old phone that I don’t use and I keep it working only for this purpose.