Battery drain since version 2.8 on samsubg A5

So, did you try the last beta build?

Using this version iodeOS A-2.11 from 26.2.2023 since 5 days now.
No obvious battery drain detected anymore :slight_smile:
Smart charging enabled with defaults, battery drops down from 80% in the morning down to 20% in the evening (power saving mode enabled in general) - I can live with that.
But if you have ideas for further improvements - please go ahead …

1 Like

Dropping from 80% to 20%: with what usage ? How much screen on time ?

Don’t know if this graph is correct … today I see also Bluetooth 26% (I am using a banglejs smartwatch) …

Ok thanks. One more question: do you have a SIM card in this phone? From our experiments, it appears that the absence of SIM may often prevent the device to switch to deep sleep state when unused.

Yes I have a SIM card.
During the day, when I am away from home, I have LTE and Bluetooth enabled.
This also explains why during the night, when airplane mode is active, there is no drop in battery charge at all.

I am also facing same problem with my A5 with 2.11
I also have sim card and max battery saving setting still draining battery sometimes during night even in airplane mode.
Seems app keep running in background and drain battery.
Apps which are not active (bieng used by user) should not drain battery while n8n background
Please fix it.

You’re not on the latest beta. Please try https://github.com/vincentvidal/iode_ota/releases/download/v1/iode-2.11-20230226-a5y17lte.zip and report back (also available as OTA via beta updater).

Installed via beta update app now

The latest beta improves the situation definitely …
… but I made the following observation regarding airplane mode:

1. When I charge the battery in the evening (what I usually do) and switch to airplane mode the charge is at 80% also in the morning (after 8 hours) - so this deep sleep mode seems to work fine.
  2. Instead when the battery is at e.g. 25% and I switch to airplane mode (without charging the battery) then the battery charge is not held constant (no deep sleep state is reached) and drops.

Do you have any explanation for this behavior?

hi

I am on a completely different phone (Fairphone 4) and a completely different version (iodéOS 4.0) but I am having the completely same issues as everybody else here (at least since I moved to 4.0)

• battery is lasting less than 18 hours (used to be almost two days a short while ago) with rather light usage (no games, hardly any videos, mostly messaging and podcasts)
  • battery drains at exactly the same speed when in airplane mode (used to be quite a flatline during the night)

disclaimer:
when I check my battery usage it looks like especially Signal ( the FOSS version from TwinHelix ) is using power like crazy (4 times as much as the display. 10 times as much as the FOSS version of Telegram which also relies on websockets).
However I didn’t see any open power drain issues over there (and I hear that the power management display can be quite misleading). So I figured I’d check in here first

@vince31fr
could the issue that you are working on possibly be effecting iodéOS 4.0 too?

No this is not related at all, or all devices and all users would be affected, which is obviously not the case. The problem for A5 is mostly related to its old kernel. The drain appears on the vanilla rom, which does not happen on other devices.
You should first try to disable Signal, or at least restrict its background usage, and see if the drain persists. If yes, the problem may be with it: its background service is perhaps not adapted to A13.

ok. In that case it quite clearly appears to be a Signal issue.

Thank you for your advice. Already tried to enable battery optimization again (or at least set it to the “middle setting”) with no effect.
But I digress. This is clearly not your issue anymore.
And I installed a Signal update 10 minutes ago. Maybe that helps…

Another time that the deep sleep state during airplane mode did not work …
Last evening I charged my phone and turned airplane mode on and this morning the charge was dropping from 79% to 49%.
Edit 1: I am still using the latest Beta.

Edit 2: Update
A reboot from time to time helps to get rid of this behavior - no idea why.
After a reboot I can turn on airplane at any charge level and the charge is kept for several hours.
Probably there is some background activity (Signal app?) which is sucking too much energy after while.

@vince31fr I recently installed new release A-2.11 dated 2023-03-23.
Now there is a new release with the same number but two days later: 2023-03-25.
Should I go for it? There was another fix?
I searched for some sort of release notes on Github but didn’t find any …

Between these two updates, mainly some fixes in the blocking list. Actually, changes in beta updates are only given in the tg/matrix groups.

@vince31fr Ok, thank you for the information.
I am running the latest Beta now, but from my point of view, the battery drain problem is not solved yet.
When I turn on airplane it still happens from time to time that the battery is discharged (30% loss in 8 hours is unacceptable in my opinion).
It seems that switching to deep sleep state is not working in a reliable manner.
Any body else with the same observations?

@vince31fr Yesterday I see in the iodeNews (2023/04/02) that there is a new iodeOS update.
This update corresponds to the version iodeOS- A-2.11 dated 2023-03-25 in the Beta Channel?
What do you recommend? I am fine to stay on the Beta - just a little bit confused …