(Poll) Help us shape iodé!

What about https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy

I haven’t installed iodéOS yet.

But comparing to other custom roms (/e/OS, Volla OS, …), I can’t find any release notes.

It seems they exist in iodé News app but I can’t find them either in github (Releases · iodeOS/ota · GitHub), or in the forum (don’t hesitate to correct me if I am wrong).

I think it is very interesting to have the information of what has been changed in a new version (security updates, applications update including web browser, issues fixed, …).
It is also more transparent and provide additional trust in what iodé is doing.

1 Like

Not sure where the official home of that info is but the device specific topics on xda might be a start. For example here is the page for the pixel 6a.

Browser search with keywords: teracube 2e iode os xda (for another example) quickly found this page.

My aim is to use a monitor/projector and if I understand scrcpy right it actually requires another computer as receiver.
Is there any HDMI plug and play solution available?

What do you think, would it be beneficial for Iode team to prioritize building a great community around the os?

The bigger the community, the more capital is going to flow for the team to do their work in the long run and it also guarantees that they are able to continue with the project. This idea gets some inspiration from the linux world.

Linux Mint. Gets over 300 donations every month. Has several partners.
Sites
Linuxmint.com
Forums.linuxmint.com

Both Iode and Linux Mint aim to offer more freedom and privacy for users. In that sense they are pretty similar projects. Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu LTS and Iode is based on Lineageos.

If I compare Linux mint sites to Iode sites,

• Iode.tech reminds me currently more like a privacy phone shop. Linuxmint.com is more about the os and community.
  • Community.iode.tech has currently mostly technical questions, answers, trouble shooting. That is a good starting point, but i think more general topics would be needed too to create community feeling. I mean some “hobby” type discussion and maybe some relaxed discussion threads also.

It would be nice to see a remarkable open source / privacy-oriented Android “distribution” and a community around it. Something less cryptic than you see on the xda platform.

Current Iode is a good start but i think it has the potential to be much more.

Iode needs also a story to attract more interest. Who are the people behind the os? What is their story. What are their goals and mission? :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m just throwing here some brain storm ideas, let’s see what you think of them :blush:

1 Like

I think, we should step up subreddit. Now it looks kinda dead. I casually check r/jailbreak community from time to time, there are news from developers, technical questions and so on. Even my limited knowledge being helpful sometimes there,

Yeah, reddit is doing some bad moves lately.
But using one app casually is far easier than whole site for such endeavours. Therefore, it connects far more people that otherwise will be left out.

Like me, for example. Why on my not exactly old iPhone I cannot login on community.iode.tech? It’s kinda stupid and very restrictive.

Add sandboxed apps (including play services ) like GrapheneOS does

State clearly when devices do not support VOLTE or VoWifi (samsung devices do not and its really hard to find out in the forums, and even on the Samsung devices you are selling in the iode shop it is not stated)

1 Like

Hi all and thanks for your input on the poll from last March!

This poll helped us strengthen our decision to keep focusing on our core values: privacy and security in iodéOS.
A first aspect that will change are Over-The-Air (OTA) system updates.
Not only are we going to keep publishing frequent system updates for beta testers with new functionalities to test, but from now on; every month a stable version of iodéOS will be published with monthly security updates, and blocklist updates for all users.
A second aspect you probably noticed is the recent launch of iodéOS Premium!.
The main goal of iodéOS Premium is to help us finance the development and the maintenance of the core system privacy and security-wise; but also our built-in adblocker. By the way, a new update will be pushed tomorrow with a new adblocker feature: save & backup your customized recipients!

I’m adding a poll below to see what you would like us to focus on next. Feel free to comment below your ideas.

• Child protection optimizations
  • Blocking lists and categories
  • Customization options (regex / …)
  • UI enhancements (world map / …)
  • Premium accounts cloud synchronization / dashboard
  • Seedvault optimization (or replace with other phone backup tool)
  • Documentation
  • Other (write below)
0 voters
1 Like

Thanks! Maybe you can inform the Kuketz blog about the change. That there are no monthly updates was the main criticism in the test of Iode

3 Likes

Changelogs

2 Likes

Rooted debugging (giving working backup)

Hi,

I’m currently using Proton VPN (paid subscription) on all my iodéOS devices. It works perfectly. According to my experience introducing a VPN from iodéOS could not be very useful. Keep your focus on your key features.

3 Likes

For those who haven’t voted yet, now is the moment!

It seems a proper backup tool is the preferred choice for what we should be implementing next. I agree that this is a really important feature.

4 Likes

Runs well

• Support New Devices

• Add permission spoofing functionalities (geolocation

1 Like

I cannot use the location feature in the messenger app Signal and therefore I would appreciate if the map integration could be improved/fixed

Its because its using google maps
Try twinhelix fork. Its using OSM instead

In this priority:

'+1 parental control (app time, internet time, both constrained by a time window (from to time) and/or time contingent (hours per day, week, month) , for app groups of games, browser, messenger, etc. can be set.
'+ 1 any apps user interface can be password locked while background activities such as network/internet access is granted (use case: auto update of app store can be performed in the background while a restricted user cannot install any new app).
'+1 option to set as default that any newly installed app is locked by password.
'+1 backup function

I voted for an improved backup system - ideally a full image of all partitions like TWRP offers

An additional feature that could help to set iodéOS apart would be Android Auto
This patch would be necessary for that

Thanks for considering it :slight_smile:

3 Likes