(Poll) Help us shape iodé!

7bis Add Self Hosted Cloud services shipped with iodéOS

I think it would be a good idea to make it easier to donate to iodé. It might sound funny but I found it difficult to do so in the past. Often donations via paypal were fully returned after some days. Having a modest option somewhere to subscribe to patreon etc would help to sustainably fiance the project (which in return is in our mutual communal interest). :hugs:

1 Like

Some further points would be quality of stock apps: :camera: :video_camera:

1. as mentioned above a nice camera app,good picture quality (AND!) decent UI. The current stock version on my Galaxy S10 has quite an off-putting look and feel. It might be OK for us but makes it difficult to promote iodé to less experienced/privacy aware users. Aperture has a lovely UI but no option to take pictures in DNG or quality adjustments. If these would be added aperture would be awesome.

2. Gallery app:
    Aves Libre is a very pretty nice gallery app with plenty of functionality

3. Pre-installed Davx5 might make it easier to subscribe to calendars/address books

The weather app btw is excellent as is Magi Earth.

3 Likes

I would vote for this too.

2 Likes

The simplest thing in the world and extremely privacy-friendly would be a bank transfer (SEPA).
Without detours via (partly questionable/privacy-unfriendly) third party providers and without having to give part of the money to a third party provider on this way.

Maybe this way is also allowed for donations?!?

1 Like

I think it is would be nice to make it easy and simple to donate on a casual basis :ok_man:

2 Likes

Personally privacy is a lot more relevant to me than security (I know thats not true for everyone, but it is for me :person_shrugging:t2:) so privacy and user experience tend to be the areas where I’d most like to see advancement. I’m especially interested in any user experience improvements that help people bridge the gap to something totally private. Most people dont start off being able to walk away from the big ecosystems, so features that help people with common pain points like needing to install certain paid applications, or passing safety net (though my understanding is that iodeos already does)

I’d love to see increased device support- especially some options that help round out the choices available. I like small phones, and the only decent flagship options on that front that I know of right now are the smaller of the xperia phones, and the zenphone 9. I know at least the zenphone has made things more open to help facilitate support for open roms, and also has some nice enthusiast features that can be hard to find, like a headphone jack- I’d love to see it as an option in the future since I think the only small phone currently available is the pixel 3.

It’d also be nice to see some baked in features for battery management and maintaining battery health, especially since most of the devices that custom Roms support are older devices, which may already have more wear on the batteries, or in the case of the pixel3, only has a small battery to begin with, which leads to early battery degradtion since the battery is cycled deeper for a given amount of use.

Details on the website about a specific phone’s compatibility with USA cellular plans would also be nice, since certain phones like the fairphone have limited radio support for certain North American cellular bands. I’d also love to see a site option that lets me see prices in USD.

I also agree with others that creating convenient donation methods is an important priority to keep the project running

Thanks for all the work y’all do on this project, I’m glad it exists!

1 Like

Thanks for this great OS. The only thing i’m really missling, is an easy to handle Backup function for a cloud Service like nextcloud.
Best regards

3 Likes

it will be great if could see certain not so great domains get colored (orange for bad for privacy domain like fb or google for example and red for malicious ones) and of there is a way too those “unknown domain” in the iodé adblocker app it will be fantastic and finally a way to botify us when an app bypasst the network blocker even when it was blocked from accessing , other then that just little more stability in it

thx for the great work you all have done till now salut

1 Like
  1. Add Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact (lilac) as an official device. It uses the same common repos as the XZ1 (poplar) which is already supported, plus device specific device tree and vendor blobs from the same upstream maintainer. Unofficial build (of Iodé 4 already runs well enough for use as a “daily driver”
  2. Upgrade XZ1 (and XZ1 Compact) to Iodé 4
  3. Enable rooted debugging in released builds, so that Android Backup and Restore Tools project can be used for backup / restore/ migrate.
1 Like

I would not make use of any option proposed in the poll.

In my opinion:

• Must have: security improvements, e.g. security updates guaranteed in less than a month, major updates faster than now as I do not have Android 13 yet on my Fairphone 3+, verified boot with a custom key, etc.
  • Nice to have: easiest installation possible without any commands to type in or impossible to make mistakes, same criteria for backups as Seedvault is not satisfying.

Basically I think iodé should only work on things that cannot be done by anything else than the operating system. When I need another service, I can search for a provider.
I come from /e/ and it was really refreshing to discover that iodé was not baking in other apps or services, making the whole product worse in the process.

I am happy with iodé as it is, and improvements stated above would make it excellent.
Thank you to all the team.

1 Like

I also consider verified boot with a private custom key important on any device where it is possible. I had the impression that iodé had not thought about this with the FP3(+) at the time. Fortunately, this was implemented later with the FP4. With the Pixel 4 and 5 with iodéOS 3 also. However, I was surprised that there is seemingly no verified boot on the Pixel 3 with iodéOS 3 and the Pixel 4, 5, 6 and 6a with iodéOS 4? Why not? (Or am I wrong about that?)

2 Likes

Bonjour.
FR : Tel que discuté ailleurs sur ces forums, la fonction d’iodéBrowser d’envoi des pages à un autre appareil ne fonctionne plus (puisque Firefox utilise Firebase pour cela, lui même racheté par Google). Une alternative serait la bienvenue - J’utilise Nextcloud, cela peut faire partie de la solution. Le module Nextcloud de gestion des signets/mot de passe pour Firefox ne se télécharge pas pour iodéBrower.

GB : Discussed elsewhere on this forum, iodéBrowser tab sending feature to another device is not working anymore (as Firefox relies itself on Firebase for this feature, Firebase was bought by Google).
An alternative is welcome - I use Nextcloud, maybe a solution could be found. The Nextcloud plugin for bookmarks/passwords doesn’t install for iodéBrowser.

Merci !
Pascal

let’s have a look to floccus
i use it as browser plugin and standalone app on android (f-droid)
works well

https://floccus.org/

Yes we definitely think it’s a must have to have a detailed technical documentation and changelog. We have started working on this, but it will probably take over a month to get a first online version of the doc.
In the meantime there is a first draft of the documentation available here: iodéOS documentation and changelogs are available as usual in our news app.

1. We try our best to provide the security patches ASAP for beta testers, they usually come a few days after LOS patches. We decided to provide beta OTA with security patches monthly for beta testers and OTA releases every 2 month as we don’t want to take risks for our customers with OTAs. The day we have enough beta testers/HR we will shorten releases to each month.

2. Yes good points, thank you for the suggestions. We will discuss internally what to implement first.

3. How would that look like? Based on what?

Right now you can make define bulk rules using the search function in the customzied blocking settings and block for instance all ancountered domains having “googl” in their name if that helps.
We will add more advanced settings in the future.

Yes they are now public.

1. Yes we will add this in the future
  2. You can restrict app access / visibility from home settings → protected and hidden apps, is that what you’re looking for? You can also use an alternate launcher.
  3. Would you like to be able to block by default all domains and whitelist them 1 by 1 or progressively?

We are baking a new feature that may help to see that more easily. No ETA on that yet though.