Where Does "Blocker" Data Go? More Information on "Blocker"

From what I am seeing iodeOS is very powerful and unique from any ROM I have seen to this day. What makes it so unique is the built in DNS filtering that is typically done by apps like TrackerControl while they use the built in VPN functionality of Android. On the iodeOS website we read the FOLLOWING as an introduction to the OS:

"3. To provide a new and powerful way of blocking ads, malwares, data leaks of all kinds to many intrusive servers. We are developing an analyzer, tightly integrated into the system, that captures all DNS requests and network traffic, as well as a user interface (the iodé app). Compared to some other well-known adblockers, this has the advantages of:

• Avoiding to lock the VPN for that use. You can even use another adblocker that uses VPN technology alongside our blocker.

• Being independent of the kind of DNS server used by the system or set by an independent app: classical DNS on UDP port 53 or any other one, DNS over TLS (DoT), DNS over HTTPS (DoH), …, as we capture the DNS requests before they are transmitted to the system function that emits the DNS request. What we do not support, is DoH when it is natively built into applications, i.e. when an app communicates directly with a DoH server, without asking name resolution to the system. It would require to decrypt HTTPS packets between such an app and the DoH server, which may create a big security hole.

• Precisely mapping DNS requests and network packets to the Android apps that emitted (or received) them.

• Deciding which apps have a filtered network usage (by default, all apps), and which ones can communicate with blacklisted servers."

My questions in regard to this are the following:

The document states, “an analyzer, tightly integrated into the system, that captures all DNS requests and network traffic, as well as a user interface (the iodé app).”

-Since the “analyzer” captures all DNS requests where is this information stored?

-Does any information the “analyzer” captures ever leave the phone?

-Regarding the said information captured by the “analyzer” who, other than someone with physical access to log into and decrypt the phone, has access to view or read this information?

-Is the information captured by the “analyzer” encrypted in the partition it resides in?

-Is the “analyzer” open source? If not, why not? And will it be made open source in the future? If so do you have an approximate timeline of when the source code will be made available?

-What are the “blocklists” or “filter lists” being utilized and where can someone view them?

Thank you for this information.

1 Like

Much answered here. This OS is impressive!