iodéOS - Generic System Images (GSI)

A Generic System Image (GSI) of Project Treble is not a full-fledged replacement for stock Android ROM or a device-specific custom ROM, such as iodéOS, but - it is an excellent basis for interested users to get to know the special custom ROM (iodéOS), primarily for Android smartphones and tablets that support Project Treble (from Android 8.1, better Android 9.0 or higher) but not from device-specific iodéOS ROMs.

Google itself releases GSI images, currently official even for Android 12 experimental. The most prominent GSI ROM maintainers are GSI-Guru Pierre-Hugues HUSSON aka Phhusson (AOSP) and the phenomenal Andy Yan (LineageOS 18.1), but other luminaries also offer good software.

I myself like to work with /e/OS GSI images. Currently, I was able to degoogle a Gigaset GX290 (outdoor smartphone) and a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 (2020) SM-T500 WiFi based on Android Q vs. /e/OS-Q. The next attempt will be to equip the Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 ‘gta4lwifi’ based on stock Android R with a Signature Spoofing ‘ready’ GSI ROM and the Minimal microG NoGoolag Edition, as I’ve already managed to do with a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5 (2018) version SM-T590 (Wi-Fi).

Long story short and question to the iodé team:
Will there be Generic System Images (GSI) of iodéOS 1.x and/or 2.x for the architectures arm - arm64 - binder sooner or later? I would prefer it to all other GSI ROMs.

1 Like

Here’s a collection of available GSI ROMs, in order to keep it easy to choose what you want.

I used to work on GSIs, and have also been for some time a GSI maintainer for a well-known custom ROM… We have not planned a iodé GSI yet, as we concentrate on other topics (device-specific ports, blocker and other features), but we will probably do so in the future.

I approve the ROM strategy of the iodé-Team, because what iodé have done so far is great.

Nevertheless, GSI ROMs are a very good marketing tool for a custom ROM distribution, because it allows iodéOS to be tried out on more modern devices that are not supported by iodéOS so far.

:+1: iodéOS GSI

GSI builds from LineageOS by AndyYan and /e/OS by e.Foundation as well as PixelExperience are extremely popular and frequently used ROMs in the insider scene. All these custom GSI’s based on AOSP 10, 11 and 12 work well and give a realistic impression of the respective ROM developers’ performance and ROM philosophy.

I’ll be one of the first to test an iodéOS GSI on all of my 12 smartphones and tablets running the above GSI’s to date (six tablets and smartphone each).

Top GSI Treble Highlight: OTA Updater Support

GSI developer ‘Guru’ Pierre-Hugues Husson, Paris @phhusson recently teamed up with XDA Recognized Developer @ponces to implement OTA update support for his Android 12 GSI build. Previously, updates for a new GSI build had to be downloaded and installed manually.

Thanks to the newly introduced OTA client (accessible under Treble Settings => Updater), checking for updates and installing them has now become much easier for end users.

Note: So far, the first version only works on devices with dynamic (super) partitions.

/e/OS by e.foundation, Paris, has after two months made the new version 0.23-q from 25.03.2022 available for download - for manual update, but still …

@vince31fr, I’m already very excited about your first iodéOS GSI…

Andy Yan’s personal builds // GSI Files are in a class of their own. I often use: Lineage-19.1 in all variants. Signature spoofing (MicroG) is supported, but only for priv apps. This is a security consideration by PHH.

I root the GSI images with Magisk and use Magisk modules to implement ‘microG Installer Revived’ for example. One advantage of this method is, every module, indeed everything can be undone even by a less savvy user.

GSI iodéOS = LineageOS 19.1 + MicroG + adblocker + multiple ways to make current smartphones and tablets more private and privacy friendly. Besides, GSI’s are a splendid marketing tool. I would switch all devices to iodéOS GSI immediately. I just keep dreaming …

1 Like